Wednesday, September 26, 2007

times its ok to point

Travelling always has its little tidbits - things that we have to unlearn, do differently, to move forward in a new place. I remember years ago, travelling with Romel in Portugal, he was outraged by my complete inability to point, to which I simply said "my mother taught me not to point," but I had to admit he had a point (god is that the WORST pun ever?!!) there are times it might come in handy. Over the years I have examined the pointing thing, and now back in a country where, well, my french sucks, I have been trying it out - so here's my very short list of times its ok to point.

On the sidewalk - to mark the dog doo for those following and/or not paying attention

While giving directions - to provide the bearing a person should go in
I should like to note here, however, that after they figure out I'm a) not French and b) can't speak French they rarely trust that I actually know where I am and can help them get where they want to go so the pointing here is a bit useless.

At the boulangerie/butcher/food or ice cream window - to indicate the baguette, croissant, flavor you want. A girl's gotta eat!

So, there's probably a lot more, but hey, I'm just getting started on this whole pointing thing, so please comment and list the occassions upon which you'd say its ok to point.

No comments: