Sunday, September 23, 2007

Happy Autumnal Equinox

Sitting in the forum in front of Saint Eustache church in Paris, in the Jardin (park) near the Forum des Halles, there are a few Parisiennes still here from the picnics of the day, laughing with their friends, prolonging the weekend a bit longer into the evening, before the work of tomorrow begins. The sculpture in the forum - a giant stone head and hand - stares out past me up at the sky, where clouds, light lavender puffs in a bright sapphire sky, drift over, at once exposing the nearing full moon, then obscuring it.

There is a violinist playing somewhere in the trees, the music wafts out into the square like a rich smell from the kitchen. This is Paris, there is music and art and love and history and people all around. I walked here, through streets, past cafes, over Pont Neuf and through the park, and yet, somehow I am still unclear on exactly how I came to be here. The night is warm so in moonlight and shadow I keep walking, I can't not.

happy autumnal equinox to my friends and family!

No comments: