Wednesday, September 26, 2007

if snails could dream

a short note to my father - about (of course) the weather and rocks of paris

The weather here in Paris has been cold and rainy - reminding me of autumn at 9 Slate. Sunny in the morning, making one think they can go out without an umbrella, but with rain coming in the afternoon - I will not be fooled...again, anyway.

I saw an evening rainbow over the Seine yesterday as the sun broke free from the clouds above to shine its long horizontal light on Paris just before setting.

You never told me about all the fantastic rocks they used to build Paris. I sat at a tiny cafe bar the other day, brass on top of marble, like some of the beautiful marbles at Versailles, with creamy green, maroon and white colors mashed and swirled together. Walking this morning on this granitic rock with large crystals behind the Musee D'Orsay I noticed large black inclusions reminding me of giant mudstones, but I know better for this rock was born in the heart of an old volcano, never touching river or ocean.

And the snails in the limestone that's everywhere - do you suppose if snails could dream, they ever would have imagined that they'd be here, with all their friends, lining the Seine millions of years after their death?

1 comment:

Adrian Cotter said...

a snail sat under a leaf
munching slowly through the cellulose

it didn't really notice much else

lost as it was in a reverie of light on wet stone, it and its friends frozen in wonder.

?
:-)