Tuesday, September 18, 2007

a little drunk and in love

I feel a little drunk and can't tell - is it the wine or the city? Probably way too much of both. I just had dinner that took 4 hours. When was the last time any of us had dinner that took 4 hours? when each time they brought the next course you thought you were falling in love AGAIN! and is it possible to love food THIS much?!

ok i get that I've been using the "L" word A LOT lately...but hey its the city of love right?

no, seriously - I loved the indian (excuse me, gujarati) tomato curry and all - but i just had three courses of heaven plus coffee (more heaven!) that went something like this:
- chevre w/onion and herb, wheat bread and fresh radish (a hopelessly beautiful combination, never before considered by moi, but awesome nonetheless)
- possibly the best salmon I've ever had (those of you who know me, and food rule #2, know that's saying a lot!)
- poulet something-something (yes, my french still pretty much sucks, see previous posts) which was essentially the best chicken leg this girl has ever had, perfectly marinated and prepared...I may never be able to eat the chicken @ chow again...sorry guys - this also came with a little cast iron pot filled with fennel au gratin...who knew there was gratin without potato?? holy s---! (sorry mom for all the swearing!)
- espresso with a little almond meringue...

ok, confession time - I have never tried meringue, thinking how good can a bunch of whipped sugar really be for more than a dollar? why didn't anyone tell me? again I find a little taste bomb, this time like a little airy crisp cloud of almond - so light I'd like to imagine it had no calories ;)

I finished the day, much in the way I spent it a little drunk and filled with wonder, the evening filled with flowing red wine and plates of food that arrived and disappeared at what was a delightful snails pace, and me not knowing what was going to arrive next, but pretty much expecting that I'd love it, whatever it was.

2 comments:

Adrian Cotter said...

l'amour! c'est beau, n'est ce pas?!

Kunal Ghevaria said...

For the first time since I started reading your blog, I feel envious. Not about travel in general, not about wandering, not about architecture or dance or anything, but about fooooood! Last I was in Paris, I was too student-broke to treat myself to a nice 4 hour meal. Damn. I wish to go now and experience the culinary paradise that Paris might be...