Monday, September 17, 2007

that loud thwacking sound you hear...

is NOT the sound of me running into a pole while staring at Chiwetel, as Adrian's comment might suggest. Nope, it is instead the sound of Gretchen banging her head against the wall that is the french language - as the girl in the the movie the Bourne Identity says "my french sucks" - though some of the people here would say "vous francais en terrible..." oh god no!

so I am struggling...I should have studied, prepared, worked harder...this is that moment in the trip when I feel lame, like I didn't do enough, etc. (yes, Alexandra, I am having a Calvinist moment!) Instead of just sitting around being hard on myself I've decided, however, I'll just keep trying...this much to the chagrin of a fair number of french people.

many embarassing moments later (yes that was me yesterday who asked a french person "parlais vous francais" forgetting at the last moment to insert "anglais" - oh god!), and after many french people looking at me as if I must be crazy, I think I may just be getting the hang of it. The only real evidence I have of this is that after many gesticulating hand gestures in english, and a bit of french thrown in to really muck things up, I have a new SIM card for my phone (the number is 06.14.70.20.33 though no voicemail, sorry), and the guy was really nice to me as I left...but that could just be that he was really happy that the crazy americaine was finally leaving his shop.

i feel humility being pounded into me, and wishing I could be better at this part...but I didn't study or really prepare, I just jumped right in and this is part of the price I pay for that.

1 comment:

Kunal Ghevaria said...

votre francais est tres terrible!
but that's okay. mine is too.