Monday, September 17, 2007

arrivée

It's raining in paris tonight - so i've been catching up with posts. It was hard finishing the stories from london - as fun as they were, I feel like they have lost something in the distance between then and now...but hoping you won't think so. There are others stories too, but I can't wait any longer without writing something about Paris.

Half expecting to wake any second to a friend pinching me, I was wandering aimlessly near the Notre Dame yesterday, and without seeking anything in particular, I was presented in succession with things I was planning to look up and find while I was in Paris, but hadn't yet.

A pod of the city's rental bikes, bright, shiny and new; street dancers, that put Deep and I to shame (and I am NOT kidding here); a piano concert in a church, how did they know how much I like Chopin (well, doesn't everyone?), an english bookstore par excellence...I was reminded of that Julie Andrew's song from the Sound of Music - all my favorite things. It was like dreaming, when around every corner is something else that sweeps you away until you round the next... and I was already numb, in disbelief from when, coming up out of the metro, I glanced over my shoulder, looking for a street sign or something to tell me where I was, when there, BAM, I see the Notre Dame and I know exactly where I am.

I have arrived...

Paris!

2 comments:

Kunal Ghevaria said...

I loved looking at the old books on display at the Notre Dame. Such a typography geek.
Anyways, I was there for X'mas candlelit service, and it was sooooo beautiful.
Enjoy Paris, and keep posting. And no, I didn't think anything was lost in your London post. It was wonderful, vivid and conjured up images and such. Too bad the New Yorker just published their annual Food issue...

Amandeep ('Deep) said...

Put us to shame? Waaaaa! I hope they were street performers and not just some average dance party :-)

Or did you stumble upon the the outdoor salsa party along the Seine that was one of the 2 key inspirations to FlashDance?

that's here - east of where Pont de Sully meets Port Saint-Bernard.
Look for the big amphitheaters along the water.