Monday, September 17, 2007

diversity

I had fresh 'bow today. I was walking along and saw a sign for tango down a long thin alley, so I enter, and find myself suddenly in a chinese block. little chinese boys playing in the street yelling at each other in french, I don't know why I was shocked - we are in France after all - but even in Chinatown, SF they yell and play in Chinese...it surprised me. After checking out the tango hours and eating a steamy pork filled delight, I walk back to the metro, passing an African woman (from Ghana maybe?) covered head to toe in brilliant yellow and orange garb, a baby tied to her back in the traditional way, talking in the street to a muslim woman in covered head to toe in nearly full burka, only her face uncovered. They laugh and part, and as I pass them and round the corner I am nearly run over by a Jewish man peddling his bicycle with a little boy riding behind him on the seat.

the world whizzing by, different and the same, fascinates and mystifies me.

No comments: