Friday, September 14, 2007

Our guys may not be @ MOR but there's funk in London on Friday night

I have had several surreal moments today - I am not sure if travel is just like that or is it that I am running on about 6 hours of sleep and all I had to counter it was the normal airline coffee-scented-hot-water.

I was thrilled getting off the plane in Heathrow and standing with all the different people in the passport line - there was this family of seven that looked Indian or Pakistani, that was squatting just outside of the passport line, much the way I imagine they would do by the side of the road waiting for a bus, but here they were waiting patiently for the father to fill out everyone's entry cards. There was a little boy who looked right through me and I had to wonder how different this place must be for him - what brought him here, where will they land, is he like me afraid or excited to be here? Does he know?

My meandering thoughts were brought back to earth by the british passport agent - complete with pole up his ass (or is that arse?) - who was seething with anger at America - my interview ended with him letting me in to the country but only after I had to endure the "this is OUR country not YOUR country" lecture. eeek...what have i done!

after much ado (and the Tube) I found myself in a nice little club on Friday night - madame jo jo's for some funk...and breakdancing (yes, breakdancing!) replete with crazy british people...and yeah, they were pretty much CRAY-ZEEEE on the dance floor! Wish the dance minions coulda been there it was great, sweaty, frenetic fun! black-white-gay-straight kinda like home but different.

My taxi ride back was similarly surreal - my driver, a Kurdish man, became so dismayed at hearing that I might leave London the next day and not see the sites - he took me on this late night, driving tour of parts of central london - it was fascinating and beautiful being shown all these bastions of wealth in the dark by a man from a small tribe in northern Iraq, living in Europe, who spoke simply about history and the present - a ride i won't forget any time soon.

I end my night (or I should say I begin my morning) watching the youtube link sent by Chell (thanks!) of Keepon (Peep?) dancing (in case you haven't seen it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g-yrjh58ms
and must say that I find it funny and oddly soothing.

Hope you kids had fun Friday night and that nickel bag of funk finds a new spot soon.

bonne nuit

1 comment:

Kunal Ghevaria said...

Glad you're having loads of fun. I did go to the MOR last night any they were playing it cool, and pretending nothing happened and Fridays were going to be the same as ever because "Nickel Bag of Funk was 3 DJs and one of them is here now, and another might be in the future, and no, nothing strange happened last weekend."
Obviously, I didn't go in.
Anyways, keep writing!