Thursday, February 5, 2009

lovers on the subte

Some of you may remember the short piece I wrote about 2 young lovers on the tube in London (http://gmonstering.blogspot.com/2007/09/lovers-on-tube.html), well I was witness to another public display of affection, this time on the subte the subway here in Buenos Aires, their passion no less palpable, so I thought they deserved a post.

I have to admit I didn't notice them at first, one shorter than I, both in black, two goth teenagers, both with died black hair and matching streaks of magenta. Tattoos, piercings, black rubber bracelets, white skin, black eyeliner, silver belts, big black boots, utterly goth to a T. And yet both of them lovely and delicate, kissing by the door of the train.

Tucked barely out of the way, they kiss as if none of the rest of us are there. There is no train, grit, underground, noise from the tracks, darkness whizzing through the tunnel. There are no stations, stops, bumps, jostling people in their world. Ensconced with one another they kiss. softly gently, she leans over brushes the hair aways from her face, and kisses her again, this time pulling gently on her hips as if to bring the other girl closer to her, they are beautiful, and almost lonely in their own little world.

The train car comes to the next stop, jarring me out of my undoubtedly entranced gaze, I look around the car - and have to laugh, all the women near me seem to be purposely looking away, as if they don't see it, there's nothing to see. But right there in the middle of the car are two young army officers, in full uniform, sitting up straight as if at attention, but with their mouths agape. They can't take their eyes off them - no jarring stop or whistle or bustling business person or tourist can stop their stares. I want to dare to snap my finger in front of their eyes, or yell like Cher in Moonstuck "snap out of it!" but alas all I can do is laugh a little inside.

I gaze once more at the two girls as I exit the train at my stop. they have a tender young love that simply is beautiful.

No comments: