Sunday, October 14, 2007

Last tidbits from travelling

So much has happened since I left Paris. I had hoped to finish writing stories about my travels and keep the blog going, but there has been little time - so for now, hopefully everyone will just be fine with some of the highlights!

First was the train back to London via the chunnel. If you ever have a chance take the train, and if you are then afforded a chance to ride in the luxury class - take it! The croissants with raspberry jelly and coffee are some of the best I've had.

In London, there was more curry (of course) and the Tate museum. Can I just say that I love this notion of going to the museum in the evening having visited both the Louvre and the Tate at night. For those of you interested here's my little list for SF:
MOMA 8:45 pm Thursdays
Asian 9 pm Thursdays
de Young 8:45 pm Fridays
Legion of the Palace of the something of honor...no late hours...but their name is too damn confusing anyway...who needs them! except for the rodin reproductions!
(oh how I miss evenings at the ansel adams museum)

If you're ever in London I would recommend the Tate (and I didn't even get to see the Turbine hall). Its a very different feeling art museum...and even if you're not a fan of Rothko, you have to check out the Seagram's paintings (if you don't know the story: http://arts.guardian.co.uk/critic/feature/0,1169,931796,00.html), housed now in one big room. All I can say is that I was a fan of Rothko (not sure why) long before seeing them, but was completely blown away by the awesome power and depth of the giant red canvases. Familiar shapes - windows, doors, beds, boxes - yet unlike all of them, in dark maroon, red, brown...essentially I can't describe them so you have to go see them for yourself.

Like the starlit flight to Toronto was the bookend at the beginning of my trip that all these stories were piled and leaning against...my sitting for a long time in the Seagrams mural room was like the bookend on the end of my trip, finishing the shelf and holding the stories together...everything thereafter was travel detail and logistics.

No comments: