Monday, October 22, 2007

from the shore

the sand
wet
like a mirror
reflecting
sea stack, sky
we walk for a long time
at the water's edge

where the rocks are
dropped, polished
by sea and sand
some glow like marbles
others egg shaped
smooth and oblong
still others
jagged & rough
not yet finished
by the tides

we walk further on
at the water's edge
where the rocks are
dropped, polished
until the surf comes for us
pushing us, running
onto dry sand
as if to say
take no more of me
you have enough
take no more
of me


*** *** *** *** *** *** ***


walking hands full of pebbles
like when i was a little girl
wanting my hands to be bigger
longing for my mother's pockets
to hold more

i can't pick up another
without giving up one of the
treasures already found

i open my palms
perusing the tiny gifts
searching
maybe there is one
i can give up
leave behind

to fit this new one in

like the little girl
i am troubled by the choice
wishing
wanting for my mother's pockets
for longer fingers, bigger hands

why can't i just hold more i think
stretching my hands to try
several rocks fall away

too much
too far to stretch
too much to fit in
too much to give up

i place the new one back on the sand
pick up the others
closing my hand
walking on

they are enough
they are the extent of my reach
and that's
enough

No comments: