Thursday, January 29, 2009

p.s. about the croissant (a post-script from Peru)

Again, I am not sure what they're playing at but I've had another near miss croissant...its what they brought me when I asked for croissant, but I'm not quite sure it really IS a croissant...but at least here in Lima what I got was warm, buttery and quite yummy in fact...perhaps it is just that it was served by a nice, young, smiling, peruvian woman along with a decent espresso – good service and good coffee go a long way. While I'm fairly certain it wouldn't technically qualify as a croissant (hard to tell until the FCA gets of the ground and defines what is and what is not a croissant), it was shaped more like one from France and with the accompanying jam (and coffee) it really did hit the spot. BTW - “muffin” doesn't seem to translate.

A note about the coffee – I have messed up my coffee order twice now, and am sure that I am frustrating my poor waitress – but I think I've got it figured out now, which is a very good thing. I may not be able to negotiate for a room or find the right street but damnit I'll be able to order coffee in Argentina!

No comments: